Friday 31 October 2014

Not your average Halloween playlist

No longer thrilled by Thriller? Totally over the Ghostbusters theme song? Completely sick of the Time Warp? Blasphemy! The Rocky Horror Picture Show is PERFECT. Do you hear me? PERFECT!!

Now that we've got that out of the way, I should let you know that I completely feel you. Halloween may be my favourite time of the year, but I swear, I'd rather be water-boarded than listen to the Monster Mash again. So, what should you listen to this rainy Halloween? What tunes are guaranteed to creep out the neighbourhood kids and provide a stellar soundtrack for your party/predrink/apple bobbing?

Tonight, when you're taking turns selecting playlists, check some of these spine-chillers out. Or, if you're looking for something a little more classic, head over to this post I wrote for the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra Blog. Happy haunting!


Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

It's dark, it's ominous, it's 10 minutes long, and it's the definition of gloomy. There's no doubting that Peter Murphy's haunting vocals will leave you slightly on edge.  An homage to the original Count Dracula himself, it's no surprise that this song went on to inspire an entire sub-genre of post-punk known as Gothic rock. The perfect song for a rainy All Hallow's Eve, this one's a must for scaring both trick-or-treaters and party goers alike.  


Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand

Perhaps most recognizable from the soundtrack to
Scream, I can honestly say that this song still scares the crap out of me. Named from a line in Milton's Paradise Lost, and referring to the vengeful hand of God, this song is the definition of ominous. I can't quite put my finger on which part of this song creeps me out the most - the minimal guitar, Cave's low, smooth voice, the background vocals (is that screaming?) or that menacing bell tolling just before the titular line, this song has me constantly looking over my shoulder for that knife-wielding, ghost face killer. Crank this one up if you'd like to keep all the candy for yourself.


Tom Waits - What's he Building in There?

This is more of a spoken word piece than a song, but that doesn't make it any less horrifying. Wait's gruff voice and grotesque lyrics paint a picture that has the potential to haunt your dreams for weeks to come. If the actual lyrics don't get you, the background sound effects and "white noise" certainly will. We might have a right to know what he's building in there, but I'm sure as hell not about to investigate alone.



Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy

Easily the scariest piece of techno music I've heard in a while, this gem from Aphex Twin is nothing short of demented. It's noisy, it's haunting, and it automatically inspires feelings of anxiety and distress. Not to mention the music video - which I highly suggest having on in the background.  Come to Daddy is not only the creepiest thing I've been subject to in a while, it's probably the scariest thing Richard D. James has ever done.


Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

A Halloween staple I couldn't resist, this classic gained popularity when it's opening piano solo was used in the soundtrack of The Exorcist. Creepy, melodic and moody, it's hard to associate this album with anything that isn't possessed by the devil. I've provided the link to the 48 minute version of this masterpiece. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment